FAQs (Frequently asked questions)

Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions section. Here you will find answers to the most common questions that we’re asked by our clients.

What is planning permission?

Your Local Planning Authority decides whether to grant consent for most types of development. This can include changing existing buildings or developing a new building. Applying for and achieving planning permission is the process an individual or business must go through in order to lawfully complete development. Some changes do not require planning permission. This is known as permitted development (see below). It is important that your application is best represented from the outset, in order to have the best chance of success. We can provide you with this representation, and be your communicating voice with your Local Planning Authority, following your application from start to finish.

What is permitted development?

Certain types of minor work or changes (such as small alterations), can be carried out without applying for planning permission. This is known as permitted development. It must still, however, follow permitted development rules. At Clendon Architecture we have specialist consultants that can advise you about what may be completed through the permitted development right.

Do planning rules differ when dealing within a greenbelt area or listed building?

Listed buildings are protected and have to be granted separate consent for any works. Even altering the internal walls will require planning permission. Should you have any questions regarding listed buildings we would be happy to advise you.

What documents will be required when submitting a standard planning application?

The basic documents you will need in order to submit a application are: A site survey, existing & proposed elevations and existing & proposed site and location plans. In other circumstances you may also require: Drainage layouts, design and access statement, Listed building consent or Conservation area consent.

What are building regulations?

Building regulations are requirements and standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure compliance with health and safety laws. They also include fuel and power usage, ventilation, access in and around the building, fire escape, drainage and plumbing issues/ assessment. A building regulations application is mandatory for all types of development. Applications for Building Regulations are submitted to the Local Building Control department.

What is a party wall agreement?

In accordance with the Party Wall Act 1996, works that affect an adjoining wall (such as raising the height or increasing thickness of a wall), fence or any part of your neighbour(s) structure within certain proximities, require those adjoining owners to be notified. Depending on what works you are planning to perform it is required that you give between 1-2 months notice before work begins, however permission from the adjoining owner(s) may see that work commences earlier. Should you have any questions, we would be happy to offer further advice and information about this.

How much do Planning Applications Cost?

This can vary depending on the Local Planning Authority and the type of planning permission you require, usually for a standard residential application the cost is £150. Most councils have a planning application fee calculator on there website.